Friday, February 25, 2011

A Stop at a Resale Shop- for Books of Course

Last night we had a good foot of fresh snow arrive. I am longing for spring flowers, especially daffodils, which are my favorite.
However that has nothing to do with this blog post, just my state of mind.
The other week, actually my terrible Friday a week and a half ago, I stopped at the resale and picked up some children's books.
Here's what I found.

1. Around the World in a Hundred Years, From Henry the Navigator to Magellan by Jean Fritz. Jean Fritz writes a lot of history books for the 3-6th grade crowd. They are simple and well illustrated. If you see them pick them up for your collection.

2. White Snow Bright Snow by Alvin Tresselt. This book is a children's classic for the preschool crowd. It tells the story of a snowstorm, preparing for it, living in it, getting tired of it and then welcoming spring. I am ready for that part. I picked this up in hardback, but I have a paperback copy that I will send to someone who leaves a comment. Yep, a giveaway. Put comment in by 6 PM on Saturday Feb. 26th.

3. The Little Naturalist by Frances Frost, Illustrated by Kurt Werth. This is an older book (copyright 1959) that has some simple poetry. My Elizabeth loves poetry so this book is a hit with her. She can read it herself, although she prefers to read poetry with someone. Here is the first poem in the book

GREEN HILL NEIGHBORS

When I look at our green hill,
I think of all the wild
Small hearts that live inside it:
The woodchuck's chubby child,

Rabbits with busy whiskered faces
Peering out of rocks,
The big-eared meadow mouse, the dainty
Gold-eyed baby fox.

When I look at our green hill
Beneath the sunny sky,
I'm pleased to have such friends inside-
And glad I live nearby!

4. Dick Whittington Retold by Kathleen Lines. This is the classic story of Dick Whittington and his cat. It is illustrated by Edward Ardizzone. The story takes place in the middle ages. The style of the illustrations are soft and gives you more a feel of the time period than some other versions of the story do. I really enjoyed it. It is more of a 1-3 grade story than the pre-school version.

5.Fish Head by Jean Fritz. The story of a cat that is ragtag and scratching out a rough living on an island until he accidentally ends up going to sea and discovers life at sea. This is a children's picture book.

6.The Sunsets of Miss Olivia Wiggins by Lester Laminack. This is a beautiful picture book that is by an author I have never heard of before. The story is about Olivia Wiggins who is an old woman who lives in a nursing home. She does nothing but "sit and look at nothing and at everything all at the same time." Her hands are "fragile, frozen, folded in her lap." She is treated well by the staff and her family visits. She is unable to communicate. Each event in her life triggers memories in her mind that the author allows us to be part of. She is still the same person. I think it would be helpful to read to a child before a visit with an older person. I know it was a good reminder to me. It is a bit of a tear jerker for adults, but light enough to still be enjoyed by children. I am really glad I picked this one up.
~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment