Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Job of a Vine Dresser



These are our neighbor's grape vines. He said we could take care of them since they were growing wild! We are looking forward to having grapes this fall.

This is the second year we have done grapes. They are very prolific but you don't want growth, you want grapes. First, you clear out the competition, weeds ,grass and maybe even a few trees.

Then you call in your friend, Brook' and Ulysses' dad, who has a vineyard, to come and help you. Together you trim of all the unwanted growth with good sharp clippers. Leave your main trunk with the four new side shoots (trim off the old ones). Off the side shoots, leave small branches with 1-3 buds on it to produce fruit.


When you are done, you should have 30-40 healthy buds per vine. It may seem cruel, but it is necessary.
The vines that are left are trained on the wires so that they have external support. Grapes are unable to support themselves. It looks bare, but by the end of the summer we should have nice looking vines, and even more important - Grapes. Vines need to be dressed or pruned every year.
All done.
Mr. Boots wearing Crocs.
John 15:1-5
1. I am the true vine and my Father is the vinedresser.
2. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it might bear more fruit.
3. You are clean already because of the word that I have spoken to you.
4. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5. I am the vine, and you are the branches. He who abides in me and I in Him, bears much fruit; For without Me you can do nothing.
The Lord is the master vine dresser!
~Mr. Boots

No comments:

Post a Comment