Monday, April 19, 2010

A Scripture Memorization Tool

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." Colossians 3:16
(One of the ways I used to try and memorize on a regular basis.)


The only way I know to begin to obey this verse and the many others like it is to hide God's word in my heart. So that is what I try to do, though there are often gaps of time where I don't, until now, by God's grace.



Throughout high school I memorized chapters of Scripture, but once I memorize something I want to be able to recall it with out too much effort. I tried and failed, and in the last two years I have come to a grinding halt except for a couple short starts. The end of February I was reading a Scripture Memory Fellowship (once Bible Memory Association) newsletter and saw a short paragraph that gave a website to help you review Scripture. (I don't know why we even got the newsletter, but I am thankful we got it.) It is called http://www.memverse.com/. I could go into detail explaining it, but instead I want you to check it out. Try out the demo, read the last couple posts on the blog, and learn how it works. All of these things are on their home page.


2 Negative things:
1. You need regular access to the Internet, if you want to use memverse regularly.
2. You need to be able to type fairly quickly or else be patient. Typing is how you "say" the verses.

Some positive things:
1. You never have to wonder, "Is it time to review that passage again?"
2. The website is being improved and updated. It recently passed it's one year mark.
3. It charts your memory work.
4. You can use any translation you want.
I could go on, but I really want you to check it out. :)

I have been learning new verses as well as reviewing them as needed on memverse for the last 7 or 8 weeks. I plan to continue this way of memorizing until I am unable to. Obeying is still a work in process. I don't think there's a website to help that. Only yielding to God.

Have you ever met someone who taught and admonished you in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs? I've only met one person, who's does it fairly consistently.

I would love to hear if this becomes a regular part of your life. If you need any technical help, I am willing to help you as far as I am able. If you think 'adding' the verses takes way too long, like I once did, look carefully. They do have some shortcuts if your observant. Email or talk to me if you have questions. Please ignore this paragraph (except for the first sentence) if you're technologically savvy.

I thank God for bringing this across my path, and trust Him to help me to be faithful in memorizing as I continue to use this tool.
~JoAn

P.S. Why was I relieved to find a 'dearth of Cd's'? So I could read my book in peace and quiet. I have a biographical book review that I want to write. Hopefully, I can get it done in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment