Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Garden Update

Our garden is doing splendid this year. Everything seems to be loving the hot weather. We have had timely rains and have only had to water a couple times.

The broccoli is all ready and we have been eating a lot of it lately. We have had it steamed and we will have broccoli soup tonight. Yummy!

We made a big mistake with our beans this year. We got the pole beans and the bush beans mixed up. So our bush beans are growing by the fence and the pole beans are taking over the one bed. Not a good plan. They are both giving lots of beans though, so that's good.

Our slicing tomatoes have done the best this year than they have ever done. We get 3-4 nice big slicers every day. That is about the amount we can keep up with just eating them and giving a few away. They have been delish! A few plants had blossom rot, which is from a lack of calcium in the soil. I had the children put 4-5 calcium supplements at the base of each plant and that seems to have corrected the problem. Putting smashed egg shells in the soil works long term, but it takes awhile and I needed a more immediate fix.

I love the little golden cherry tomatoes. They are very prolific and they taste as sweet as candy, literally! They are so good.

The zucchini are still producing. We have three plants. One got somewhat broken in a wind storm, but we are getting enough for our family's use.

The red cabbage are looking splendid. We grow the red cabbage because the green cabbage is too cheap to bother. We like the red cabbage cut up and cooked with apples and onions in a sweet and sour sauce. German style. It is very good with a roast as a side dish.
We are also getting Swiss chard, lettuce and all our herbs. The basil is doing wonderful. I am really loving my pesto. Sooo good!
Don't give up on your garden. They are worth the work!
~Mom
"A garden is like those pernicious machineries which catch a man's coat-skirt or his hand and draw in his arm, his leg, and his whole body to irresistible destruction."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Conduct of Life (1860)

2 comments:

  1. I like that way of cooking red cabbage! I certainly love it when we have roasted beef in the side and some sweet apples and sour dressing in the middle. That is certainly the treat for me! LOL> Thanks for sharing this post. It certainly made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love broccoli soup! I am envy on your broccoli because I have failure of planting and never try again. But with your post and the cooking of broccoli soup I will want to try it again. I just hope that it will grow healthy like yours. All of your veggies are really healthy and yummy in the photo.

    ReplyDelete