Sunday, August 29, 2010

Now That's Ridiculous!!

Yesterday, I was reading a book on household management. I need a lot of help in that regard. The book was well written, organized, and if I followed it's suggestions, helpful.
I was reading the section on the bedroom. They were talking about mattress care and eliminating dust mites. They suggested vacuuming your mattress biannually, which is probably a good idea. Then they talked about pillows and stuffed animals. They talked about how pillows and stuffed animals also are a place that dust mites like to live. They suggested that you switch from down pillows to polyester. (Not happening here.) Then they said to take away your child's stuffed animal at bedtime and replace it with a plastic one. "Yes, sweetheart, give Mommy your soft, cuddly, stuffed animal and snuggle up with this hard hunk of plastic to go to sleep." That's ridiculous. That's carrying the dust mite phobia just a bit too far! If you are really concerned why not just take the toy away? But that a hard piece of plastic would be an acceptable substitute to a child is ludicrous. What do you think? Would you ever do that? I am surprised that they didn't suggest plastic sheets and blankets for on the bed. I am all for cleanliness, but this is beyond my comprehension.
~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment