Saturday, May 10, 2014

Living Through Jet Lag

Reminder: this post (and other posts about this trip) is written for family and friends who are curious about what T-Bob and I are doing while we visit our family on the other side of the world so it may be a little long and boring.

Warning: I'm writing this with a jet lagged brain, so it won't be chronological and may be a little wordy.   I also forgot to take pictures semi-regularly until the end of our second day.

Here are a few snapshots of our life as we adjust to the time and climate.  Yes, we are suffering from jet lag, though not as bad as it was described to us.   We have managed not to take any naps and sleep until at least 5AM.  Each day we are able to sleep a little longer.


 By late afternoon we start to feel tired.  By seven or so we want to go to bed but manage to keep moving.  Friday night T-Bob and Katrina were watching a movie.  Before it was half way through, T-Bob fell asleep and movie night was postponed.


We brought a kombucha scobie with us.  My aunt didn't have any gallon jars, but she did have this three quart jar.   I cut the recipe down a quarter and am looking forward to seeing how long it takes to make kombucha in this hot climate and with less tea.   
  


I brought my ten year quilt project with me with the hope of finishing it.   It has been a good thing to work on when everyone has something going on and I need a quiet project.  The story of it and why I even brought it will be shared at a later date. 


Every day we have gone out to the store, school, or some other errand.  The picture above is an already busy Manila road of four lanes merging into two.   It is a game of inches, literally!  


Before we left the States, Mom researched staying healthy while traveling internationally.   This was one thing on the list that we were unable to find at the local drug stores.  I found it humorous that I came across it at a health food store here.   An observation that I have made from the few shopping excursions I have been on so far: you can find basically anything here in the Philippines that you can find in the States if you are willing to pay for it.  Also, you may not be able to find it on a consistent and or long term basis.


Getting to and from the second or third floor of a Filipino parking garage can be an adventure!


 Hearing about and seeing/hearing homeless children begging are two different things!  It hurts.  My aunt and uncle make it a practice to have a little bag of peanuts and a tract for them when they come to your car window (in traffic!).   I find it interesting how quickly they sit down to read the tract, even before eating the peanuts.   Pray that God would use this little bit of truth in their lives!


All ready to go to staff banquet!  The flowers are in preparation for Mother's Day.



Katrina committed to babysitting at the banquet, so the four of us enjoyed a quiet evening.  Dish washing takes a little longer when you have to boil water for washing,  so we made it a group activity.  (Josh took a break from drying dishes to take the picture.)

~JoAn

No comments:

Post a Comment