Friday, June 25, 2010

The Brevity of a Life

Birthdays make me realize the brevity of a life.
Our family has a tradition that at the June birthday party that all the grandchildren line up in order of age along the back sidewalk at Grandma's house for a picture. This is the ninth year I think we have done it. T-Bob and Katie were the youngest back then. In the first pictures, the children went up like stair steps, now it is jumbled. The oldest two grandchildren are now adults working out of state and can't come.
Time is passing rapidly. The days are long, but the years fly by. Be intentional in how you live. Put your time and effort in things that have eternal value, like people. You will never regret investing your life in your children's. Train them up in the wisdom and admonition of the Lord. The Lord desires us to faithfully train up our little ones for His service.
It is sobering to think that I am in the second half of life. I see the strength and energy of our children in contrast to my own. I want to finish strong. Not just physically, but spiritually. I still feel like I have so much to learn. I have so much growing up to do myself.
We want to hear, "Well done, my faithful servant!" as we cross the finish line of this life. We need to make sure we know the One who is the Judge, and have accepted His payment for our sins.
Remember, this life is just the beginning of eternity. Make sure you know where you are going to spend it.
~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment