Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Square foot gardening: Update

Our garden is doing well. We have had very timely rain in not overwhelming quantities. Here you have our broccoli, red cabbage, cauliflower, and the two skinny beds are our pole beans which still need the fencing put up, so they have something to grow up. Our paths need to be weedwacked, but the beds themselves have been weeded. If you look closely you can see the string that marks out each square foot section.

The herb bed is doing well. In another week or so I will have big enough basil to make pesto. That is the highlight of my summer. I love pesto!!!! The bed in the background is out tomatoes which are well staked. I am working hard at keeping them tied up and all the suckers pulled off.

The lettuce is thriving. We have way more than we can eat. I cut a little dill and parsley into the salads and that takes them to new level. Delicious!!! We picked our first zucchini today. It was so pretty. I know I will be tired of them soon, but the first one is special.

These two tall sections are our peas. They are astoundingly tall. They really thrived!

This particular variety had beautiful purple flowers on them. They could almost be grown as an ornamental. (Yes, the Japanese beetles are out in full force already. The traps go up tomorrow.)

The peas are hanging heavy. I just wished this batch tasted better. They are too stringy. We have gobs of less than tasty peas. Bummer. I will try and figure out a way to use them. Any ideas? They taste OK, but are tough. They are supposed to be snow pea pods. I am thinking of shelling them and using the peas as peas.
Enjoy your garden!
~Mom
"The man who has planted a garden feels that he has done something for the good of the world."
Charles Dudley Warner
My Summer in a Garden (1871)

No comments:

Post a Comment