Monday, November 25, 2013

10 things I am Thankful for on the Farm

The first part of this week I am going to give you a list of the different things I have found to be especially thankful for, here on the farm.  Here are the first ten things....

 

 1. Having the master bedroom on the first floor.  You don't think I am going to show you the inside, do you?  We set up the bed and unpacked our clothes, but we haven't gotten much farther since then.  There are still LOTS of boxes to be processed in there! Trying to get the public areas done first.  Thanksgiving is only 3 days away!

The family room bookshelves  

The living room bookshelf wall.
 2.  I LOVE the way the bookshelves from the old house fit in here at the farm.  The Boss was able to get these in to the inch without adjusting them.  He just pulled the right combination of units.  They match very nicely to the floor and wall covers,  They look great.  I still have a bit of unpacking to do, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I am thankful for my bookshelves, and my books ( That goes without saying!).


3.  I love all the windows! It is so nice to be able to look out and see so much nature and beauty.  I was getting tired of so many cars at the old house.  It is enjoyable to sit and look out the window here!  It also makes the house seem bright and airy!  We have neighbors, but they are not very visible with all the trees and distance.


4.  I am thankful for my old-fashioned cold cellar!  It is under the front porch and is a lovely cool temperature.  Perfect for storing apples, potatoes, beets, canned goods as well as a place for our freezer.  I am also thankful for the freezers being full of grass-fed beef!  Not sure where we will put the deer if the guys get one.  I will worry about that later.


5.  I am thankful for our storage area up on the third floor/attic.  I am also thankful that all the beams and studs in the house are oak.  I have enough space to store all our books for now, without worrying about the beams sagging.


6.  I am thankful for our barn.  It is so pretty to look at.  It smells like hay.  It has room for Paul to set up a workshop and for the kids to set up pingpong tables, etc.  It has the run-in on the back and it is just a very neat barn!

My office

My waiting room.

7.  I am thankful for my new office.  My office has always been in the basement before.  I didn't mind, but it is so nice to have a room with a view!  I now can sit at my desk and look out at the pond, and chickens scratching and whatever other critters end up here.  I am looking forward to getting the office floor done so I can unpack and have it look nice.  I am thankful for patients that don't mind coming to see me in a room under construction!


8.  I am thankful for chickens being able to free range.  For whatever reason I like to see the chickens out and about in the field.  I may be strange, no doubt there, but it makes me happy to see them.


9.  I am thankful there is a gas well on our farm.  Our farm came with mineral rights and with the well, it means that we get free natural gas.  In Ohio, that means that the fact that the furnace is running as I sit and write this isn't costing us a dime!  We can heat the house, heat the water, dry the clothes and cook with natural gas for FREE.  That is definitely something to be thankful for.  These 'beautiful' tanks are hidden behind some trees and bushes so I don't have to look at them  unless I want to.


10.  I love the pond and I am very thankful for it!  It is constantly changing and it always reflects the light and the scenery.  It is a constant joy to behold.  The weather is cold (High of 23 F/ -8C) and the edges are freezing over.  Elizabeth was walking over the ice.  It didn't crack at all.  I was impressed at her ability to walk on water.

Tomorrow I will share ten more things I am thankful for here at the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment